PURPOSE: The GoodOpps Program for Students is a program developed specifically for students with a disability of the Leon County School. This is the result of meetings with representatives of the school districts and the services are based on stated needs. Any Leon County School student with a disability, 16 and over, is welcome to be referred and to participate in either of the two services described below. Please note: the student can be referred to one or both services; or to services at different times.
- GoodOpps Program is continuous throughout the school year starting in September of each school year
- Initial group orientation will be held at Goodwill Industries- Big Bend Inc. located at 300 Mabry Street, Tallahassee, FL.
SECTION 1: Goodwill Industries-Big Bend Inc. currently provides the following services to community agencies that serve people who are disabled and/or disadvantaged:
- Transitional Work Experience
- Computer Classes- from basic to advanced.
- GED Preparation Training (Online)
- ABE / GED Preparation Classroom
- Job Development / Job Placement Assistance
- Job Support and follow-up
- Functional Skills Analysis
- Interest and Aptitude testing and comprehensive career evaluation
- Job Readiness Classes
- Financial Literacy Classes
SECTION 2: Proposed Services for GoodOpps for Students Program.
- Eight (8) Transitional Work slots will be reserved specifically for Leon County School students. (A total of 2080 total work experience hours for the year)
- GoodOpps will provide Transitional Work Experience, a paid “practice” work program, designed to assist people 1) increase stamina and work tolerance, 2) obtain recent work experience for resumes and 3) learn successful work behaviors in a real work environment.
- Each GoodOpps transitional work experience slot is for a total of 260 hours. Normally, this is scheduled as 20 hours weekly for 3 months. However, this scheduling is flexible. In certain circumstances, extensions of time can be awarded. The Director of Placement Services for Goodwill Industries Big Bend Inc. will make this final determination. However, all hours worked by students in the GoodOpps Program will come out of the total of 2080 work hours for the program, for the year.
- Each GoodOpps transitional work experience slot is paid at the standard minimum wage. Wages and workers’ compensation costs will be paid for by Goodwill.
- The eight (8) transitional work slots reserved for GoodOpps Program are in addition to the slots already budgeted for the general population. Even if all of the reserved slots are used, we encourage continued referral to the program as needed. If all the slots are used, the students would be accepted into the program in the order the referral was received, along with our adult referrals.
- Each GoodOpps transitional work slot will be enrolled into our Placement Services program and will be asked to complete paperwork required for Goodwill to track services.
- Each GoodOpps participant will be assigned a school system Employment Specialist who will support the student on the job. This Employment Specialist will coordinate with program staff and the retail manager in order to ensure the most productive experience possible for the student.
- Job Readiness Classes
- GoodOpps Program will provide job readiness classes specifically designed for the referrals from the school system.
- Goodwill’s job readiness curriculum will be used in the GoodOpps classes. Classes will include soft work skills and job search skills.
- One GoodOpps group class will be provided weekly, tentatively scheduled for Wednesdays from 1-3:30 p.m.
- GoodOpps classes will be structured so that two (2) modules will be completed during each class. Six (6) modules will be available, each one taught every third class. Students may enroll at any point and will be considered “completers” as long as they have finished all six modules.
- The school system will make referrals for GoodOpps classes and fax these referrals to (850) 576-0921 at least one day prior to the day of class.
- GoodOpps classes may be canceled if less than 3 participants are referred.
- Every GoodOpps student that successfully completes all six job readiness modules will receive a certificate of completion, signed by the Director of Placement Services.
- Students may attend the Job Readiness Classes on Wednesday separate from the Transitional Work Program.
SECTION 3: Coordination
We want to ensure that the GoodOpps Program for Students, a partnership between Goodwill Industries, Big Bend Inc and the Leon County School system, works effectively for teachers, employment specialist and school personnel, is responsive to each agency’s needs and is the best experience possible for each student that takes advantage of this opportunity. In order to ensure these outcomes, we would like to recommend the following coordination efforts:
- Referral Forms: For the GoodOpps Program, please use the referral forms provided and fax them to (850) 576-0921 at least one day prior to the beginning of service. Please fax them to the attention of Dee Austin.
- We would like the names and contact information for all local job coaches who may use our services so that we can send them periodic questionnaires about their satisfaction with our services.
- We see this as the beginning point of a growing and effective partnership with the school system.